Does my homeowners policy cover personal items like clothes and books?

All homeowners policies are different in some ways, but there are many similarities. Your home in Buford, GA has multiple kinds of coverage if you obtained a policy from Town & Country Insurance.

How Much Coverage Your Home Needs

Probably the most important part of the policy is dwelling coverage, which will help you if the physical structure is damaged, such as in a fire. This is going to represent the largest value.

The amount of coverage you would get to protect your personal possessions will often depend on how much the home is worth, and what the dwelling is worth. The contents coverage will usually be between 50% and 70% of the total value of the house. So if your home is worth $100,000, you will probably get $50,000 in contents coverage.

What Is Contents Coverage?

Your home has many items which would need to be replaced in a total disaster. This includes furniture, carpeting, appliances, electronics, and other household items.

Contents coverage also includes personal items, like clothing and books. You will have just as great a need for your personal items as other items that need to be replaced.


There may be some exceptions and limitations, and those will be spelled out in your policy. One normal limitation is that jewelry or fine art usually has its own limit, meaning that an additional policy would be needed to protect such unique items. 

The most important thing to remember is that your policy limits, inclusions, and exclusions are spelled out in your policy. If you have any questions about which of your valuables are covered on your Buford, GA home, you can always call your agent or contact Town & Country Insurance so we can help.